This recipe is for onion soup, legal for the SCD diet and other restrictions. It is entirely dairy free, grain free, gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan. I did not name it “French Onion Soup” because I won’t serve these in ramekins from the oven, or breadcrumbs. Here’s all the flavor of your favorite soup without the fluff. Done in less than 30 minutes.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 medium Spanish onions
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup vinegar
- Salt, pepper, white pepper to taste
*You may replace the oil with butter, the vinegar with lemon juice, and the water with broth stock tp meet your dietary requirements.
- Peel and chop onions into half-rings. Separate the layers as you drop the sliced onions into the instant pot.
- Add the garlic and bay leaves, and oil. Press the sauté setting. Stir, and watch for the onions to caramelize.
- When they release some liquid, they are done.
- Add 4 cups of water, and the remainder of the seasoning, making sure to taste for enough salt.
- Seal with instant pot lid, and set to cook on HIGH pressure (manual setting) for 20 minutes.
- Your soup is now done. Be careful, because it will be extremely hot, even for those accustomed to eating freshly cooked food. Freezes very well!