This recipe is dedicated to my personal trainer who tipped me off on the need for healthy carbs and fats that post-op patients need for breaking down protein with body fat instead of muscle mass. Pair these harvest vegetable side dish rose cups with a high-protein recipe for the ultimate meal. Without further ado, here is my side dish recipe to round out your protein meal.
- ¼ rutabaga, or 100 grams (1.1g,38c)
- ½ sweet potato (1g, 56c)
- 1 small apple (.3g,58c)
- 1 medium orange (.9g,45c)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (360c)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce soymilk (1.25g,17.5c)
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 packets artificial sweetener
- 3 eggs (18g, 210c)
- 4 ounces fine cornmeal (8g,355c)
- Peel and thinly slice the rutabaga, sweet potato, and apple into a large bowl.
- Peel orange with a knife, reserving the white rind. Thinly slice by hand.
- Dilute coffee and sweetener with soymilk.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl.
- Press the mixture into a large muffin pan, evenly dividing between the 12 cups. The mixture will form high mounds, which will settle in the oven later.
- Bake at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Yields: 12 roses, about 1.5 ounces each, 2.5 grams protein, 95 calories.